Monday, January 21, 2008

Blue(s)

"I've just had about enough!" I exclaimed with a look of despair and helplessness ." Everyday i come back into an empty house with nothingbut work to do. Every month i bring back money to feed the family, pay for the bills and... All I ever ask for in return, is that I can at least have a decent meal prepared by my wife."
I stared into one of his neighbour's house. How heartwarming. Is this the kind of perfect family I yearned after?Zooming in to the park just under my block,I immediately noticed two couples flirting.Is this what I wanted?An abrupt ringing of the phone broke my chain of thoughts. Its most probably my wife ,Melissa, calling to tell me she won't be home tonight.
"Hey,err...Melissa!You won't be home tonight?"I would ask this rhetorical question everyday,as though it was news to me,"Oh nevermind that!I'll just dine in with Tommy in some restaurant.Yeah,Ok,sure.I'll make sure Tommy's in bed by ten.Ok,I Lo.."*click*
I went on again,searching for meaning in nothingness,staring at every single couple in sight like a gargoyle.Then I saw this old lady with someone,apparently her grandchild.
"Ah ma(grandmother:slang)!Can you buy me an ultraman toy?"The boy talked with a innocent tone,confirming my statement that he is the grand child of the old lady
Words stumbled slowly out of the old lady's mouth, "Ah ma only left with enough money to buy ice cream...you want to eat ice cream anot(or not:slang)?"
The boy cringed his face and quicken his pace, despite seeing that the poor old lady's body is unable to keep up with this pace. The boy's bag seemed too heavy for an old lady of her age to carry.It was a heartbreaking scene. The old lady seemed to be slugging her guts out to carry the bag and chase after the boy at the same time.From the second storey,I could make out some light reflected off the corner of her eye.
I reflected upon myself.What?Should i blame myself for being too nice to Melissa?Am i wrong to make her happy?NO.I'm not.I am never wrong.It's all Melissa's fault for not knowing how to appreciate me for what I've done.She should be the one reflecting on her actions.Not me.Yes.NOT ME.
"Daddy!I'm hungry!"came a voice from Tommy's room.
"OK!Let's have sushi today,"I smirked,leaving the house with the thought that I've always been the one who is right.
Eating at the sushi bar,I noticed the pair of old lady and her grandchild again.This time it was yet another heartbreaking, devastating scene as the child tried alluring the grandmother who hasn't anything on her side of her table with a piece of sushi.As soon as the grandmother widen her toothless mouth, he immediately fed it to himself.Infuriating.Naively, she fell for the trick time and again, but not failling to follow it up with a smile to minimize the guilt of the child.
Then i came to a sudden realization.I am not the grandmother and Melissa was not the child.We are all mere adults.Careless ones.We all have our own blues.Just that some of us hide it so well no one knows.

1 comment:

Ms P Neo said...

A steady pace of rhythm to this mature essay. Some insights into the hearts of mankind, if not, the confused minds of an adult.

Great potential to tighten some loose joints. Use more show-techniques, for instance, 'it was a heartbreaking sight'...you could illustrate this sentence, and keep it an underlying theme of this essay instead.

Your maturity and sensitivity to the surroundings give you an advantage to craft engaging plots!

Explore and exploit your potential!

Keep reading to sharpen your writing skills!